Select Page

Exchanging Your Residency Certificate

Exchanging Your Residency Certificate

This applies to UK nationals only. If you became a Portuguese resident before the end of the Brexit transition period you will need to change exchange your residency certificate for a new one that will confirm your status under the Withdrawal Agreement. It is important to apply for this as soon as possible.

You will need the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • an authorised Portuguese residency certificate

You will then need to set up an account on the SEF website (the majority of the information is in English) and follow the instructions or log in if you already have an account.

Once you have logged in, follow the instructions to apply for a new residency permit. Once you have done this you can download the Residence Permit Application Certificate. The new cards will take some time to arrive so use this document while travelling to prove that you have Portuguese residency.

SEF will also contact you by email to arrange an appointment to obtain the biometric data needed for your card.

You can log back in and re-download the certificate if needed.

Full information, including guidance and frequently asked questions is available in the Brexit section of the SEF website including a video showing you what to do.

Have you downloaded your Residence Permit Application Certificate? What was your experience, please tell us below.

Photo by Christian Lue on Unsplash

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.